Friday, March 20, 2009

PETROGLYPH SURFBOARDS


HONU, THE SEA TURTLE

 
Here is the first replica I made of the Ancient Hawaiian surfboard called an ALA'IA. This was created from a tracing of the template I got from the Bishop Museum in Honolulu in 1980. This one is based on Princess Ka'iulani's board of 1888. It is 7'-6" Long and about 18" wide x 3/4" thk.  It has no fin, so it has very fun slide at will character. Being much faster than a modern board, due to a very low drag factor, my appreciation for the Hawaiians who invented surfing has grown beyond measure.  I love riding inside the tube, a very temporary space on Earth, each one usually very private, relatively shortlived, and a place where no man has been before, and no man will be after.


I recently been extremely lucky to have found numerous ancient Koa Wood Slabs, Planks, and lumber that was collected from the Hawaiian islands prior to the turn of the twentith century.

Please contact me if you are interested in surfboard making!  I enjoy this hobby and look forward to seeing the boards you make!

Greg Hall

Sunset Beach, Hawaii

New Smyrna Beach, Florida




© 2009  GREGORY HALL ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment